A Grand day Out.....

Had a lovely day on Saturday with my beautiful teenage boy.We got the first bus - at ten past seven - then a train to London...
We headed out to Bermondsey to find the orangey pinkness that is the Fashion and Textiles Museum.

The exhibition was of textile designs by three women designers in the 1940s.
I got a couple of postcards:
Lucienne day - Calyx, 1951

Jacqueline Groag - untitled, 1952
Marian Mahler - Mobiles, 1952

Lucienne Day - Apollo, late 1950s

These scans of the postcards are by no means a full representation of what was there - the designs were beautiful. The scale of some of the motifs combined with simplicity of form and colour combinations showed a real skill and understanding of screen printing as well as design and the way a repeats work.
There were examples of different colourways for the same designs - and colour choice and juxtaposition made such a difference to how a design sits - just fab!

We only had about an hour and a half before we had to travel back over the river to Bloomsbury for the Portfolio Intensive - organised by SCBWI.
There were two illustrators' agents and two publishers there. I got to only see the two agents - the time went SO quickly.
It was really interesting seeing the work of other illustrators too - at various stages of their careers. I learned a great deal in four short hours and came home very inspired.
The agents were honest but encouraging - generous with their really constructive feedback.  So now I know that I must draw my little son more and keep drawing.  Frances McKay obviously thinks I have good drawing skills - but need to develop an illustrative style. She liked the line drawings of Alfie the dog..


Mark Mills focussed in on a small sketch for an idea to illustrate a poem - a fox

So I sketched and doodled my way home on the train - whilst my son filled several pages in his sketchbook too..

No comments: